Before you use your hose this Spring.
Today is the first day of Spring!! You may not be hauling out your garden hose quite yet, but you'll want to make sure your hose bib didn't freeze and spring a leak over the winter before you start to use it.
If you accidentally left something (hose, timer, split valve, etc.) attached to any of your hose bibs over the winter you will definitely want to keep an eye out . This is the most common reason why water could freeze inside your hose bib and cause a leak.
When it thaws, water will usually not leak into the house until the valve is turned on so when all risk of freezing has finally ceased and you are ready to turn on your hose bibs this Spring:
(1) Be sure you know where your main water shut off is and have towels ready just in case.
(2) Have someone watch inside the house opposite the wall where the hose bib is located outside.
(3) Carefully check that no water is leaking in the hose bib area when the water is turned on. A lot of water can leak in a short period of time.
(4) If there are no leaks all should be well and you can continue this process for the other hose bibs around the house.
(5) If you do find water leaking turn off the hose bib immediately. If the water continues to leak turn off your home's main water shut off valve to stop the water.
(6) Your next step will be to have the damaged hose bib replaced.
You can give us a call anytime at Service First Tradeworks Ltd. (250) 832-5558 or (250) 675-3668. We are always happy to help!